4.7.14

CHRONICLES OF RELIGIOUS FEVERS - FALL OF ARES

Intro:-
Hippocrates, father of western medicine, was highly skilled in performing brain surgeries. He was also the first to announce that seizures had nothing to do with the wrath of the gods, that it was purely physical. This poem is about an army commander who loses his first war, and he's devastated, scared of Ares' (God of war) punishment.

N.B. the surgery part is true, along with the instruments. The rest is fictional.
Trephine is a surgical instrument used to make circular inscisions, like ones in a skull.

POEM

My spartan brothers share my battlefield

The man to my right is my shield

Warriors of river Styx eternally victorious

Warriors of Olympus, so glorious

High hopes left us cold and dead

The enemy has interrupted our tread

Shocked men crawl in search for their swords

Slayed men telling their very last words

I see my undefeatable army tremble

Might becomes fear with failure to assemble

How has the enemy interrupted our tread?!

Scraps of wood and blood on my head

Sky moves slowly and the ground turns light

My army has lost their very first fight

In a confused storm of men, I hear the screams "RETREAT!"

In a haunting shadow of our first defeat

"Golden crimson sand, my ears defeaned"

"Chopped arms, dangling nerves, swords through throats driven"

"Threads of sun-baked skin holding a mutilated his face like delicate feathers"

"Begs from my warrior's eyes and shrieks like those of a disgruntled griffin"

"I plunge my merciful sword through his heart and pray I'm forgiven"

The overthrown commander falls to the ground

Coiling in agony, jaws clenching, breathing bound

His once feared armor now stained by streams of his people blood

His body against the heavy metal clamored and skin cut

Froth splattered from his mouth, tongue trapped between his teeth

Eyes lost in head, bones start to creak

Warriors wounded and weary stood silent and still

Following his writhing torso with glaring eyes

"Let him be" whispered one. "That's Ares will"

"The wrath of Him drills through his brain"

"Holy spears chisels his sanity to pay for his sin"

"That's not god's will" Hippocrates culled.

"It's blood and humour trapped beneath his skull"

Solemn, he knelt and slowly turned his head

His seizures stopped and so all gasped and crept

"Carry him carefully" he lulled "and lay him on a clean bed"

Smooth trephines, smooth circles in his skull

He drained the blood and with linen rags stuffed

Glimmer in commander's eyes returned

With honest prayers to Ares it yearned

Torn between what's real and what's safe Hippocrates smiled

"Medicine and god saved your master mind in this unfortunate night"

6 comments:

  1. Mentally marked this as my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem . The rhyming is magnificent
    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect. It's my favourite poem in your new set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amr, thank you and yes we will keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esraa, thank you very much. Your opinion is always needed and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete